rants of my life. clubs. music. people. relationships. love. hate. sports. sex. terrorists. money. luck.



Memoirs of my first fire - Part 1


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...





After I graduated from Civil Defence Academy in 2003, I was posted to Changi Fire Station. That morning I was excited t0 be finally considered a fireman. Yet still I was very much a greenhorn. My uniform was a crisp one, compared to the senior peers with their crumbled seasoned material. Early in the morning, I was assigned the duty to be on the Duty Officer pumper. Basically the first big ass fire engine that arrives at a fire. Cool!

In the midst of my morning drill (damn, i probably forgot some of the steps already), the station siren went off. People started running around heading towards their equipment and I was flabbergasted. I couldn't hear what the voicecom speaker was saying. I asked someone and he said Duty Officer activated. Shit!! Immediately grabbed my equipment and fire jacket, run towards my pumper. We rushed out of the station within one minute stipulated time and pee por pee por towards somewhere.

"Where we heading?" I asked. I was informed that one of the buildings in Changi Prison was on fire but it could be a false alarm. "Better be safe than sorry, you do 'this' you do 'that' you in charge of the water, LIM! you be hoseman!" "Roger"

While I was enjoying the scenery and the wind that rushed in the cabin as the fire-engine turned and horned at every car in front to give way, someone shouted "This is big.. You guys start preparing now." I turned round and saw a thick waft of smoking rising out in the horizon. Holy shit, my first day on the job and I get this. Who cares, haven't heard of anyone on their first duty getting a big fire and killed in action yet. Not so swey la. Started wearing my mask, helmet, jacket and finally my oxygen tank. All this had to be done in the fire engine with 5 other people, not a simple feat.

We reached the prison and turned into a lane. Lines of high ranking police officers lined acrossed the road, scrutinising our fire-engine as we drove in. One of my best section commander I got to know later in my course of duty said, "So many big crabs around, you guys better DO a GOOD JOB and FLY towards the fire! Don't forget what you're assigned and which equipment to bring!"

We finally saw the building on fire and man it was totally smoking on the 3rd floor. We came to a halt. "GO GO GO!"

To be continued...


0 Responses to “Memoirs of my first fire - Part 1”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me


www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from replica469. Make your own badge here.

Previous posts

Archives


Links